The word Reiki comes from the Japanese Rei, universal or spiritually guided, and Ki, life force, which translates as “spiritually guided, universal life force energy.” All living beings have an energy that animates life and departs at death. We might call it personal energy. Reiki is that personal energy connected to Source.
Reiki is also a technique which channels this universal life force energy to promote relaxation, stimulate self-healing, and revitalize the body, mind, and spirit. As personal energy is affected by experiences, environment, and stress, among many other factors, it can become low or blocked, increasing the likelihood of dis-ease, physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Reiki , adapts to the needs of the receiver, and balances their energy system, clearing the blockages. It can be used for all beings, including animals and plants.
Reiki is also a spiritual path. Mikao Usui, who discovered Reiki in the early 20th century, understood it primarily that way. His students in the first levels were dedicated to learning about the energy, but treatment of others was secondary. He gave his students five ethical and moral principles to guide their lives and asked that they do daily meditation and work with the Reiki energy. He taught that Reiki and its principles were guidelines to invite blessings and improve the mind and body.
Uses for Reiki
- Reiki is a self-healing tool and an effective way to reduce stress and anxiety.
- It can also be used to help others heal themselves.
- It can protect care-givers from drains on their personal energy
- It can protect practitioners from picking up negativity from others.
- It can be used to charge food and medicine to maximize their nutritional and healing value.
- It can be channeled to clear tensions and strengthen relationships.
- It can be a form of meditation that opens channels to spiritual connection.
- It can deepen concentration and invite mental and emotional insight.
- Reiki can be used to send healing to specific people and circumstances.
- It can be used to clear places of negative or heavy energy, and to create safe and sacred space.
- The uses of Reiki are limited only by our imagination.
Reiki in a Coaching Session
In a coaching session, I use Reiki to clear the energy of the physical (or virtual) session space. With it, I also create a safe energetic container to hold the work we will do together. While we are in session, I will often channel Reiki, even as we are talking or doing another activity. The healing vibration helps move out the energy that is ready to be shifted and strengthen what we are building. Additionally, Reiki enhances my intuition and helps me pick up on the layers of the issues we are working on.